This weeks competition sponsor is...
1. If you paid your annual sub in full before 31st Dec 2012, the 5% credit you received on your members swipe card can now be used to buy goods in the Pro Shop as well as the Clubhouse bar.
2. Please note that the regular Thursday 'balls in the hat' takes place at 11.30am and not 12.00pm as stated in the fixture book.
3. Please note that you will NOT be able to book holes on the on line system for shotgun starts. We will be using traditional entry sheets which will be available in the Pro Shop the week before the competition.
4. From the owner - Course Owner Philip Vermeulen asked me to circulate the following 7 points for your information (incidentally all the Castletown Golf Links course rules can be found on pages 16 and 17 of the 2013 fixture book):
1. From 1 April 2013 all players must please carry sand bags and divot anchors – spot checks will be done. Divots are to be repaired by using the divot anchors and covering the divot with sand afterwards.
Initially spot checks will be done on the first tee-box - members without sand bags / suitable equivalent will be asked to please buy one in the Pro Shop before teeing off. Unfortunately, no one will be allowed to tee-off without the a sand bag and the anchors.
2. From 1 April 2013 all players must please carry their 2013 membership cards on their golf bags – to weed out people playing on the course who are not members or who haven’t paid.
3. With the exception of shotgun starts, could members please use the online booking system at all times to record all rounds that they play on the course (competitions and social) in order to assist us to measure how many rounds of golf are played per year and also to know who are on the course. If members haven’t done so, Andy must please update the booking system when players arrive at the 1st tee-box.
4. The gates leading to the practice area and parking area at the 7th tee-box will be locked and members will be supplied with the code of the combination lock. Members to be close / lock the gates behind them. The public is now using these areas for public parking.
5. Members must please make sure that the door of the new shelter is locked after use. The black knob could be turned to reset the lock and then the door should be firmly pulled to make sure it locks. If not, we foresee vandalism of the shelter.
6. Mark will open every morning the gate that leads to the buggy store.
7. Blue flags have replaced white flags on the greens.
It was a month end presentation day last Saturday, and the Captain welcomed Robert Currey of sponsors Equilibrium Pensions. We had two shotgun starts at 8.15 and 1.15 with the presentations in the middle at 12.30. We were updated on one of our junior members, Scott Donald, who last week represented Scottish schools in a match against the R & A. He played with the Captain of the R & A and shot a gross 74 round the Old Course at St Andrews, After the match they dined in the R & A clubhouse overlooking the course. Scott is currently studying at Loretto School near Edinburgh, after obtaining a golf scholarship.
The great conditions saw some very good scores with two players attaining 41 points. Coming out on top with 23 points on the back nine was Andrew Dent. He managed a birdie on the 10th and went on to score 5 pars and just three bogeys. Ramsey Ball however had just three pars and one birdie on his back nine with a regrettable double bogey on the 17th – so near and yet so far. Two shots back, and one of three players on 39 points finding a return to form was El Presidente, Jack Yardley. Having started with a birdie on the 1st, he went on to make 10 pars with just a hiccup at the 7th where his shots matched the number of the hole.
Category 1/2 prize was picked up by Terence Cassidy also on 39 points, with model Roy Clague picking up the category 3/4 prize with a fine 38 points. The quiet man Brian Graham was the winning senior picking up 36 points.
This Saturday sees the SMP Partners monthly medal. It should be noted that winter rules are dropped as of 1st May. The club Pro Andy Patterson is also organising a bank holiday Monday open competition. Anyone interested should call Andy on 822211 or 466996. Andy is also hosting a couple of demonstration days which will take place at the practice ground. The first, a Ping, takes place on Wednesday 8th May from 3pm to 7pm and the second a Callaway is on Saturday 11th May 1pm to 5pm – all are welcome.
Dear fellow members of Castletown Golf Club,
Many thanks to our Immediate Past Captain George Ferguson for all his hard work and stoicism during the challenges that were presented in 2012. My thanks must also go to your Committee who do so much in the background to ensure all of our golf is as pleasurable as is possible . George mentioned in his last year’s address that we were travelling along a very exciting road, a road of great expectations - how right he was!
Thanks to Philip Vermuelen’s 5 year vision, his over arching enthusiasm and his tremendous energy, our new clubhouse is the perfect setting from which to relax, enjoy the views out over the first and eighteenth fairways and to continue to foster great club spirit. We’ve waited a long time and have been rewarded with a magnificent clubhouse to savour - many thanks again Philip.
Personally , I’m hoping to reduce my handicap to a more acceptable level and to enjoy the course at the finest that I’ve seen it for years. I hope that we’re now entering a more stable period and that we can all truly benefit from the efforts of others in the past. I’m very much looking forward to working with your new committee over the next twelve months.
Gentlemen , I wish you all good company, good health and good golf for 2013. We have much to look forward to next year and beyond.
Sponsors listed below have kindly offered to sponsor our competitions